This historic clarified milk punch recipe originates from a 1711 British recipe, but The Varnish’s Max Seaman made some modifications for the modern day drinker. It’s a rich, citrusy drink that will easily be the star of your holiday party.
- Peeled zest of 6 lemons plus 1 1/3 cups juice from a total of about 10 lemons
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 quarts (1/2 gallon) whole milk
- 1 3/4 cups turbinado simple syrup (see note above)
- 2 cups cognac, such as Pierre Ferrand 1840
- 1 quart demerara rum, such as El Dorado Five-Year
- Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg